Wednesday, November 14, 2012

"On My First Son" by Ben Jonson
Farewell, thou child of my right hand, and joy; [The name of Jonson's son is found within this line.  "Child of my right hand" literally means Benjamin.]
   My sin was too much hope of thee, loved boy.  [He hoped so much in his son, that he put him above God in importance.]
Seven years thou were lent to me, and I thee pay, [Benjamin's son was seven years of age when he died.]
   Exacted by thy fate, on the just day. [Jonson realizes that life is precious.]
O, could I lose all father now! For why [Jonson loses his sense of being a father.]
   Will man lament the state he should envy? [Jonson feels conflicted.  Although his son gets to be in heaven, he is sad because he has "lost" his beloved son.]
To have so soon 'scaped world's and flesh's rage, 
   And, if no other misery, yet age? [I think that Jonson is sad that his son has died in such a young state.  Jonson describes that his son has escaped the wicked world and has left his father in it alone.]
Rest in soft peace, and asked, say, "Here doth lie
   Ben Jonson his best piece of poetry, [This describes how much Jonson loved his son.]
For whose sake, henceforth, all his vows be such
   As what he loves may never like too much. [Jonson kind of gets "emo." This line seems to say that he wishes that he may never like anything so much so he doesn't get so hurt.]

    Ben Jonson's "On My First Son" is a wonderful epigram that is deep and depressing.  Because Jonson focused on artistry and decorum in writing poems, "On My First Son" vividly describes Jonson's feelings toward his lost son.  Not only is this poem depressing, but it is personal and meaningful.  Jonson reveals the "depressing" side of "YOLO" that people have a hard time dealing with.  Jonson also describes his confusion in how he should feel despite his sons journey to heaven.  
    This poem caught my attention because of its meaningful story.  Jonson tells a sad story in just twelve lines.  Characteristics of "On My First Son" can be seen in many movies, TV shows, books, and music.  For example, "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton describes the loss of a newborn son.
Lyrics:
"Would you hold my hand
If I saw you in heaven?
Would you help me stand
If I saw you in heaven?
I'll find my way through night and day
'Cause I know I just can't stay here in heaven."

In addition, the movie "UP" by Pixar captures a sad love story about an elderly man losing the love of his life in ten minutes.  The poem "On My First Son" depicts the grief of a father in a vivid way that captures the reader's attention.
Works Cited
Horton, Ronald A. British Literature for Christian Schools. Greenville, SC: BJU Press, 1992. 303. Print.


No comments:

Post a Comment