Monday, January 28, 2013

The Uncommon Appears Believable


“Honey! Wake up, it’s your first day of school and you don’t want to be late!” my mom yelled as I rolled lazily out of bed.  I stretched and put on my lucky necklace that my brother gave me.
I grumbled as I walked to the bathroom and brushed my teeth angrily.  Today was my first day of school at Jackson high as a junior.  I wasn’t very excited, the kids at my old high school, Story Brooke high, didn’t like me very much.  I mean, it’s not like I was bullied or anything, I just didn’t have any friends.  I mean it wasn’t anyone’s fault. My parents moved around a lot, and I was constantly changing schools.  I never got to get close to anyone before moving away to another school. 
“ARE YOU DONE SOPHIA!?!?!?!?” my twin brother Aiden screamed through the bathroom door. 
“Chill out Aiden, I’m done.  Why are you so impatient!?” I replied grumpily as I walked out of the bathroom and into the kitchen for breakfast.  I ate some of my mom’s delicious pancakes and got my stuff ready for school.
“Okay mom, me and Aiden are heading out for school, have a good day! Love you!” I hugged her and gave her a kiss on the cheek. 
“Love you too, drive safe okay?” my mother sternly told Aiden as we walked out the door.  Aiden got into the driver’s seat and we drove to school.
“Do you think that this time will be different?” I asked Aiden nervously, bighting my purple colored nails nervously. 
“You’re the one who was telling me to chill out Soph.  Relax, I’m sure it’ll be different this time.  You’ll meet lots of new friends.”
“Easier for you to say Aiden, you’re all athletic and charismatic.  I’m not exactly a social butterfly like you Aiden.”
“Don’t worry sis, I got your back.  I’m sure you’ll make friends, after all, you are my sister.” Aiden replied back sarcastically with his broad smile in the process.
“Shut up! But, thanks, I feel a little better now.”
“Anytime.”
Twenty minutes later we arrived at school.  The school was smaller than most high schools I’ve been to, but cute and relaxed.  My brother pulled up into a parking stall and we got out.
“Let’s go to the office.” Aiden said and looked at me and smiled. “Don’t worry Soph, it’s a new day.  Just be happy.” Aiden told me, obviously seeing the panic in my eyes as a pack of students brushed passed me. 
“Okay.” I replied nervously walking toward the office.
“Good morning. I’m Aiden Johnson and this is my sister Sophia, we’re here for our schedules.” Aiden said to the lady at the front desk, obviously charming her with his perfect manners. 
“Oh, I’ve heard about you too! You’re Lillian’s children huh? Welcome to Jackson high! We don’t get many new students here often.  Here’s your schedule and a map of the school.  If you need any help, just ask around.”
“Thanks miss, we’ll be on our way now.  Have a good day!” Aiden said as we walked out the door. “So…it looks like we don’t have any classes together Soph…but I’m sure I can go back in and chan…”
“It’s okay Aiden, don’t worry about it.  I can’t depend on you for forever, I’m sure I can find my way around. Have a good day!” I quickly said as I grabbed my schedule and map of the school and scurried away before he could say anything.  However, I couldn’t understand the map at ALL.  Suddenly, I bumped into someone and fell down, flat on my butt.
“OH NO! I’m so sorry I didn’t mean to run into you! I was looking for my next class and..”
“Hey don’t worry about it! Wait…you’re new right?.  Do you need some help finding your class?” I looked up at the tall, brown haired girl and grabbed her hand as she helped me get up.
“Sure, thanks! I’m Sophia by the way.  What’s your name?”
“I’m Mia, nice to meet you. What’s your first class?
“Ummm, AP World with Mr. Smith.”
“Really!? I’m in that class too! Great, we can walk together.” Mia responded with a smile that looked genuine. 
            We walked to history together and chatted along the way.  Mia was so nice, I’ve never had a friend like her before, I mean, besides my brother if that even counts.  She explained to me all the information about the school and even walked me to my next two periods because we had the same class, until third period trig, where we had to part. 
            “Hey, I’ll meet you at lunch okay? I’ll save a spot for you!”
            “Thanks Mia! See you later!”
Two periods later, I walked to the cafeteria and spotted Mia and sat down with her.  I was introduced to all of her friends, Matt, Olivia, Connor, Lindsay, Laura, and some other people that I didn’t remember.  Suddenly, someone jumped behind me and startled me.  I turned around, only to see Aiden, of course.
“Aiden, seriously, you know I hate when you do that!” I said, trying to hide the laughter I held back. 
“Sorry Soph, I just love doing that to you.”
“Wait, you guys know each other?” Mia asked, with a confused face.
“Oh yeah, Soph’s my sister.” Aiden replied squeezing his face into mine.
“GROSS! Get your oily face off of me!” I squealed as he let go of me. 
We all ate and laughed.  For the first time in a long while, I had friends.  As the day passed on me and Aiden headed out to the car to go home.
“Bye Aiden by Sophia!!! See you tomorrow!” Mia and her group of friends yelled as we got into our car.
“See, I told you that it was gonna be a good day.” Aiden told me as we drove home from school.
“Yeah, you’re right. Thanks Aiden.  Today was fun.” I smiled at him.
On the ride home, I thought about the day.  I looked at my brother and smiled.  Who knew that he would be so right about this new school? I grabbed my necklace that he gave me and closed my eyes, thinking of all the new possibilities that could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment