Thursday, August 23, 2012

Chapters I-IV Questions

1. Give an example or two about situations in which you are "...attending to universal issues and withdrawing...attention from the stream of immediate sense experiences" (2). For myself, I quickly found three: 1. Emailing a local friend instead of doing something or making a call. 2. Hanging out with someone - by going to the movies. 3. Having a party but being too busy to spend time with guests.

 I often read books without remembering or understanding anything from a whole chapter. My mind often “thinks for itself” while I am reading. Even though I do not notice it, I read in my head while thinking about other things about my life. I do this even when I am reading out loud! Even when the book may be very interesting, my mind wanders off to other subjects. Because of this, I usually lose the whole experience of an awesome book. In addition, I do not always remember to pray to God.  In pages eighteen and nineteen of the Screwtape Letters, Lewis explains that Christians do this often. I often do not realize the greatness of God when I talk to Him; I don’t always get the full experience of talking to my Savior because of surrounding thoughts.

2.  What are your "daily pinpricks" (11)? For myself, spiral paper eats at something deep inside.

 I have a lot of weird “daily pinpricks.” For example, I hate when people touch my shoulders. It makes me feel gross and gives me “the chills.” What makes more aggravated is that people touch my shoulders purposely to irritate me! In addition, I hate when my folder paper isn't exactly folded in half. My OCD kicks in and I have to fix it until it’s perfect. Finally, I hate when people don’t listen to me when I am leading an activity. I get stressed out when my class doesn't listen to me! When any of these things happen, my frustration comes out! I know that instead of showing frustration, I should show peace and appreciation because of God’s mercy and grace. What are your thoughts on prayer? Compare your prayer life to this chapter. I often pray during the mornings and night. Before I go to sleep, I thank God for the day. I often pray on my rides to school for my class and family to grow closer to God. Like most people, I tend to pray “more intensely” while I’m in panic or stress. Like Lewis mentions, I often don’t have the desire to pray or talk to God. I take God for granted because of my selfish desire for worldly things.

No comments:

Post a Comment