Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Chapters IX-XI Questions

1.Why do our “trough periods” make us so vulnerable (43)? Is this applicable to you?

      “Trough periods” are times in which we experience adversity or difficulty in our daily lives. During these times, we often portray strong emotions in negative ways. For example, when people feel sad during adversity, they commonly blame God for the bad things happening in life. By being desperate for happiness and peace in our lives, we often fall into the temptations of the world. For instance, many people in the world turn to drinking and drugs during hard times. We often look to find peace and happiness in worldly or temporal things instead of spiritual or eternal things. When I am going through hard times in my life, I often feel hatred toward other people or things. Because of this, I become vulnerable to sins like gossip. Because I feel guilty for myself, I act selfishly by blaming others for my mistakes.

2.What beautiful truth about pleasure does Screwtape share? Make a list of pleasure? The beautiful truth about pleasure is that God produces it. However, pleasures are often corrupted because of intentions.

     1. Using electronic devices
     2. Sleeping/ Relaxing
     3. Food
     4. Scoring points in games
     5. Getting good grades

3. What are your thoughts regarding “parallel lives” (51)? What does this mean to you?

        I think “parallel lives” are when people live hypocritical lives. When we are hypocritical, we tend to lie in a sense about how we act.

No comments:

Post a Comment