Monday, August 27, 2012

Chapters V-VIII Questions

What is Screwtape’s idea on the best way for humans to die? Why? Screwtape’s idea on the best way for humans die is with a false sense of hope. In chapter five, Screwtape describes care homes as the best way for humans to die. He explains that at care homes, friends, doctors, family, and nurses all lie to you about your health. They give you a false sense of hope without looking at the other aspects of life. For example, during war, many people look to unselfish causes and moral. They fight for their cause and most likely exemplify heroic features. How does “...malice thus becomes wholly real and the benevolence largely imaginary” (28)? How does this apply to your life? In my opinion, malice becomes wholly real and benevolence becomes largely imaginary when we start to treat others in kind ways for the wrong intentions. For example, if we sit with a new student at school for the purpose of looking good, we become a selfish, sinful person with horrible intentions. I have done this many times in my life with simple things like picking up trash or cleaning my house. In addition, malice becomes wholly real when we take people for granted and treat them badly. I have done this in my life many times to both friends and family. By making mean comments without thinking, I become a hurtful person. Finally, malice becomes wholly real when we have hatred bottled up inside us. It’s a high probability that every person in this world strongly dislikes another person. I have been guilty of this many times in my life. I tend to hold grudges against other people. When I finally talk about it with someone, I can say horrible, mean things out of anger! What is the “law of Undulation” (37)? Give an example of this in your life. The law of Undulation is a cycle in which a person experiences the rise of excitement or interest at different times of their life for the same thing. For example, I tend to get excited for the first day of school. However, as school goes on, I begin to detest school until a new school year! Additionally, I get excited when planning things for my class! As I get more into planning an event, I realize the hard work that I have to put into making fun activities for my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment